Fingal Volunteer Centre is an independent and free matching service to encourage more people to become involved in volunteering across the county. We aim to promote, support and encourage volunteering and good practice in volunteering. Our role is to provide information and advice to people interested in volunteering and to organisations looking for volunteers. Fingal Volunteer Centre acts as link between such organisations and individuals. We will advertise vacancies, advise people on their options and help organisations support their volunteers by adopting principles of best practice.
Recently our staff have been involved in Volunteer Management of a number of large public events including: Dublin Tall Ships Festival 2012, NYE Dublin 2013, Malahide’s UberFest. We are currently working with a number of key players in event management in Fingal to run volunteer programmes for their events. One of these flagship events will be Flavours of Fingal in September 2013. The events will include major public events in Fingal in 2013/14. We will be recruiting, selecting, training and managing volunteers for these programmes. Additionally our staff will be also be managing volunteers at the World Police & Fire Games in Belfast this August and the Tour De France 2014 stages in England.
Overview of the Volunteer Role
The Event & Volunteer Management Intern will play a key role in each event, and will assist and support the office team. The aim of the internship is to provide valuable insight and experience in event and volunteer planning, co-ordination, and management.
Working as part of the volunteer management team and supporting staff in preparing volunteers for a number of key events in 2013 / 14.
• Conducting evaluations and administration for each event
• Sourcing equipment / IT / Resources for each event as required within budget
• Planning logistics for events and ensuring all communications and identification systems are in place
• Liaising with Fingal County Council Events Office and Event Management companies.
• Ensuring that branding is in place at each event and ahead that branding guidelines are adhered to.
• Contributing to planning sessions on the layout, format and content for events.
• Assisting with facilities management for each event
• Hands-on event and volunteer management support at events
• Responding to calls and emails regarding events
• Support all office staff as requested by supervisor
• Other office, reception and/or administrative duties as required • Researching volunteer training for events and liaising with other agencies.
Time Period and Commitment
• The internship will run from June 2013 to December 2013 and may be extended to June 2014 dependent on event plans for 2014.
• A minimum of 2 days per week are required. These would be any two consecutive days.
• During volunteer management events the intern, along with staff would be required to be on site for extended periods of time which will require work at weekends.
Fingal Volunteer Centre, Dillon House, Unit 106, Coolmine Industrial Estate, Dublin 15 and on site at each event.
Skills, Experience & Qualities Required
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Fluent English
• Experience and/or interest in working in an small office environment
• Professional and welcoming manner in person and on the phone
• Ability to relate well to others and work as part of a team
• Commitment to the ethos of volunteering
• Enthusiastic and willing to learn within the role.
• Good IT skills Applications from candidates who have completed an Event Management or Volunteer Management course would be welcome. The intern will get to attend a number of trainings as part of their internship. Induction,
Support & Supervision
• The volunteer will receive an induction to the organisation
• Interns receive initial and “on the job” training throughout the internship from their supervisor.
• The volunteer will receive ongoing support and feedback from the supervisor at regular intervals.
• The Events Intern will be supervised by the Volunteer Centre Manager Expectations
• The volunteer conducts him/herself in a professional manner
• The volunteer is respectful towards all staff, clients and other volunteers
• Good time keeping
• Gain insight and experience in event and volunteer planning, co-ordination, and management
• Opportunity to work in and learn about volunteering in Ireland
• Gain first hand experience in a supportive office environment
• Opportunity to build up your C.V.
The Events Intern will be reimbursed receipted out-of-pocket expenses in line with the Volunteer Centre’s Policy Applications Please apply with a cover letter and CV to email@example.com